Wednesday, October 11, 2006

This just in.........

I got back a couple of hours ago from a memorable UUMA chapter retreat south of Seattle. The retreat featured one of the best "inservice" programs I've experienced in ministry: Rev. Paul Rasor of Virginia Wesleyan and "Unitarian Universalism and the Challenges of Religious Identity". I haven't talked much about theology with colleagues since I left seminary, and that's been a few years! I'm going to be using some of that experience as future blog entries, so stay tuned.

I did want to report on the Charades experience this time, which was pretty tame. Longtime Charade-ers objected a couple of years ago to my bringing a stack of books with great, awful titles, to get around the rule that 3 people needed to have heard of whatever title was being presented as a Charades item (I thought of it as adding to folks' knowledge base, not as a sneaky way to find impossible titles. Why won't you believe me?). I was operating on the familiar dictum that it is easier to get forgiveness than permission, but I was obviously not operating on the same ethical plane as my teammates, as everyone has given me a lot of flak ever since for what I thought was rather a clever idea. Anyhow, my generosity with resources fell flat that year and I've been careful to color within the lines ever since.

However, my team won, which is a switch. I guess virtue does have its rewards. Some of the better titles presented were "The Origin of Consciousness and the Breakdown of the Bicameral MInd" (this title will appear later in the book meme with which CC has tagged me---you'll have to guess which category) and "Kinky Boots". I lucked out with "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" which Keith Kron got immediately; Keith is a bit of a children's lit expert and he was on our side. "Jamaican Farewell" got a lot of energy aroused, surprisingly, and inspired a bit of a song and dance routine by the colleagues. So tame, but a lot of fun, and an evening of nonstop laughter, which is always a good thing.

No comments: